As the Board of Directors for Miranda’s Hearth enters our second year, we’re looking for two-three more directors to join our ranks!
Our board currently consists of professionals from a wide variety of fields including investment, education, marketing, and design. In order to bring our board to the next level, we’re looking for people with a passion for creative community building with experience in real estate, insurance, accounting, and/or law.
If you’re interested in joining the Board of Directors for Miranda’s Hearth, send an email to email@example.com
Board Member Description
The Board of Directors will support the work of Miranda’s Hearth (“the Hearth”) and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by the Executive Director (ED) and the Hearth Embers, the Board-ED relationship is a partnership and the appropriate involvement of the board is both critical and expected. Specific board member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance and oversight
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the Executive Director as they develop and implement the Hearth’s strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by Miranda’s Hearth for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving the Hearth’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the Executive Director
- Assisting the Executive Director and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the Executive Director and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing Miranda’s Hearth to stakeholders; acting as an ambassador for the organization
- Ensuring the Hearth’s commitment to a diverse board and staff that reflects the communities Miranda’s Hearth serves
Miranda’s Hearth board members will consider the Hearth a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that Miranda’s Hearth can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, Miranda’s Hearth expects to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity.
Miranda’s Hearth board members will serve staggered three-year terms and will be eligible for reappointment for additional terms.
Board meetings and committee meetings are each held quarterly. Board meetings last at least 2 hours, and committee meetings can last 1-2 hours depending on what needs to be discussed. In addition to meeting commitments, there is an expectation of 5-8 hours of work completed by individual assignment.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about mission of Miranda’s Hearth. Selected board members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. Board member accomplishments will allow them to attract other well-qualified, high-performing board members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Professional experience with leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
- A commitment to and understanding of the Hearth’s beneficiaries, preferably based on experience
- Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
Service on the Miranda’s Hearth Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to board members’ duties.